Sunday 25 January 2009

Kitty's cooking corner: Lasagne

So yes, I did promise fish pie after the noodle sandwich thing (which people are still not brave enough to try, shame on you). But I made lasagne instead, not everyday for the last 6 months either, however much Tie would like me to, but recentlyish enough to have a camera to hand. So yes.. On with teh cooking.


These are all the things you will require, obviously you don't need to get them from Morrisons, I do because I live in a morrisons but that's beside the point. I also missed out butter from the picture but nevermind.

You need:
  • Mince
  • Bacon
  • Olive Oil
  • Cheese
  • Mushrooms
  • Lasagne sheets
  • Garlic
  • A tin of chopped tomatoes
  • Onion
  • Milk
  • Butter
  • Tomato Puree (also not pictured)
  • Oregano
  • Basil
You can also add sweetcorn if you like it (I do but SOMEONE prefers it without...)

Chop everything up that needs chopping and fling the mince, garlic and onion into some sort of large pan thing (much like my Tefal wok type thing which is my reason for cooking). When the mince is brown throw in the bacon and mushroom (and sweetcorn if you have it). This will then cook quite cheerfully while you plurk, masturbate etc.

Once all this is cooked squirt tomato tomato puree all over it, don't forget to squirt some across the wall and cooker too so you look 'professional'. Then sprinkle basil and oregano and mix that mo'fo up. Bung in the tinned tomatoes and a pinch/sprinkle/some small amount of sugar in too. I dunno why, someone once told me it's something to do with counteracting the taste of the tomato although that would kind of remove the point of said tomato, but I'm too nervous of cooking things to disagree.

You can now leave the whole lot to simmer/burn for a bit while you make the cheese sauce.

Mix together some amount of flour and butter in a pan til it looks like this


Then you add some milk so it looks like this.

Yummy huh? Keep stirring it all the time so it ends up smooth, or get someone else to do it! The fun of cooking is making other people do half/most of the work anyway.

If you're alone or lazy get one of them blendery things and mangle the sauce til there are no lumpy bits.

Then you can add cheese. Or not, you don't have to add cheese, it's prolly healthier without but I love cheese so nyer.


Once all this is done you can make it up in a casserole dish, bolognaise sauce first then the white/cheese sauce, then a layer of lasagne sheets. Rinse repeat until you run out of bolognaise then on the final layer of lasagne sheets you just slop some white sauce over it and grate some cheese (more cheese YAY!)
Put all this in the oven and ignore it for about 30 - 40 minutes or until some bugger pesters you for food.

DONE!

Fish pie next time (maybe)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks really yummy. I love Lasagne and fish pie. So much nicer when it is made from scratch, although I do usually cheat with the cheese sauce. Tesco do a fresh one in a tub that is yum.

Tiernan Serpentine said...

I can vouch for the yumminess of Kitty's lasagne (without the corn) and definitely better from scratch yes! Although as the delegated and official cheese sauce maker I do like to think mine is better than ready made ones from the shops hehe.

Orchid said...

For some reason I have always felt like I wasn't a good enough cook to make lasagne. Its always seemed so damned complicated .. all those layers and whatnot.

BUT you've given me hope Kitty. Yes ma'am! I may actually give this a shot sometime soon. I'm scared. Hold me.

Anonymous said...

this is the original "italian lasagne al forno"

http://www.barillaus.com/Home/Pages/Lasagne_OvenReady.aspx

:)